Thursday 2 March 2017

Morning Memories

A tiny arrow of light 
shoots straight into my dark curtained room,
up to my bed, on my face .
The bathroom is lit. My Grandma is up.

Awake.Silent.Dazed. I lie there still and trace her movements.
Through the guarded sounds
and tell-tale smells.

A tinkle of bangles
A muffled whisper, of morning chanting
A wisp of watery fragrance
fills the air.

Her jasmine scented oil leaves a trail
as she hobbles back
to her room after the bath.

Click.
The opening of the door to the balcony.

A minute later, she glides back,
with a burning incense stick in her hand,
she enters the kitchen.

Sometime later, 
there'll be an aroma of sweetened milk tea in the whole house.
The radio will be switched on and the volume will be increased,
just a little careful bit.

Few seconds of pause
and then a cool moist palm
will be placed on my forehead.

I close my eyes, pull up my covers
and wait.


No comments:

Post a Comment